Wednesday, 21 July 2010

Unimpressive new things, turned impressive old things

Who remembers these cups, and hands up (high so we can see them) if your parents owned a set!

How many things can you think of that your parents did when you were young, that you were so unimpressed by at the time, or perhaps even indifferent, that now make your heart sing with joy?

Oh the nostalgically fond and heart warming memories!

I don't think it's as simple as rose coloured nostalgic glasses though, I think it's more a case of the realisation that the decisions those people made for you were actually the best ones to be made, even though at the time it may not have seemed like they were.

Obviously, there are exceptions (there are always exceptions).

I hated home made rye bread as a teenager. I ate it every day for lunch, usually with peanut butter (delicious!). Or roast beef and chutney if there were left overs (especially delicious!). Every day I wanted horrible bleached white bread (preferably no fibre, please).

But, I hear you say, home made bread (and rye home made bread at that) is "da bomb"!!

Yes, I am quite aware of this fact.

Oh but everything sometimes seems so backwards! Why is hindsight the best kind of sight?!

No comments:

Post a Comment