Sunday, 23 February 2014

Choose your own adventure

I sometimes look back and reflect on how different my life looks now, compared to how it looked 5 or 6 years ago. 

I went through some big transitions when I was 27. New job, new city, new friends, new personal relationship status (notably a divorce). Everything changed. (Okay, some things were constant, like family, and a few of my long time friends, but apart from that there was a lot of change.) And it took me a long time, a really loooooong time, to adjust to those changes. To find out who I was again. 

My sister said to me about 6 months ago, something along the lines of, "I recognise 18 year old Mary again". That was a pretty big compliment to me. And that's exactly how it feels too. I feel like I've gotten the old me back, with new shoes though, and some new experience (and hopefully some wisdom) along the way. 

It's nice. 

It's my birthday on Monday. I'll be 32. When I was younger I thought 30 sounded so old. But so far this decade has by far been my favourite. I feel like I've finally caught up with my soul in some ways, I didn't do 'young' very easily. Maybe no one does. 

Everyone said this would happen - but I feel so much more comfortable in my own skin. With my own thoughts. I care less about the way others think I should live or what I should do - and am just really super epically content to do my own thing, my own way. 

I wonder how my life will look in another 5 years. 

Pretty darn exciting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment