Wednesday, 5 February 2014

What little Mary wanted to be when she grew up

When I was a little girl in pigtails I had a different idea of how my life would turn out.

I thought that being a child was complicated, and that everything would somehow be easier the older I got. That's true in some ways, but mostly false. Obviously.

I spent hours in my own head, thinking about how things were.

I had no real idea of who I was back then, and no clue as to what I wanted to "be" when I was older. I frequently changed my mind about that one. I wanted to be lots of things. A teacher, a pianist, some sort of artist, a singer, later (and briefly) an electrician. I always knew I wanted to be a mum, at some stage, but I also wanted to be a mum who worked.

It's funny in a way - I'm all of those things. I don't have any sort of qualification in any of them, but I teach people stuff from time to time and maybe I'll still do that one day. I sing, alot. I did learn the piano. And I did go to TAFE for the theory component of a sparky apprentiship, but I later switched to law. Don't ask.

One of the big ideas I always had as a kid was to be a traffic light engineer. At the time I thought it was a totally made up profession, but I'm certain there must be someone out there who does engineer traffic light operations. And I'm not talking about the design or manufacture of them. I'm talking about the timing.

You know, when you're stuck at a red light and the one up ahead is green, and then just as your light goes green the one up ahead goes red? Well...my little brain thought that 'if there were engineers who were around that would never happen...it would be such a big job but it would be so cool'. I still think about that sometimes when I'm stuck at a light.

Traffic light engineering...helping people get to where they need to go without having to stop at reds too often.

I wonder if I'm a metophorical traffic light engineer. Sometimes people tell me I'm not like other people. That I think a little differently and it helps them to see things a little differently, open their minds, and get unstuck.

I certainly hope so. That means most of my childhood fantasies will have come true...for now.

Traffic light engineer lady! *giggle

No comments:

Post a Comment