Monday, 24 March 2014

I'm having a 'that tree is so beautiful' moment

For Gem

"It is both a blessing and a curse to feel everything so very deeply"

I wrote this post a few years back but it dropped off the roll somehow.

It was the sort of day that allows a person to feel more deeply than one would ordinarily feel. You know those days? When the sky is grey, and the air is crisp and cool. When the light is a strange orangey colour that sort of penetrates everything and makes it seem like it has a photographic sepia effect, making everything less bright somehow and a little more melancholy.

It was a melancholy day.

One of my aunts had died unexpectedly a few weeks prior and although I had not been close with her the news had rocked me, as well as my whole family. She was young, and had not been sick. In fact, we never did learn exactly the reason for her untimely death, and at the time I could not reconcile this in my head.

I came home that melancholy day, and was in one of those contemplative moods. Looking out through the back door into our yard I discovered a tree that resided just a few meters from my back door, a rather unfortunate and ordinary looking tree that you would not ever cast a second glance upon, had blossomed a very rare blossom of red petals so large that each flower was larger than a dinner plate. Every green leaf on that tree had been replaced with these enormous red blossoms, and the shade of red so vivid, coupled with the orangey sepia melancholy light made that moment of living seem so surreal that I cried at the sheer beauty of the whole thing, for a good little while. 

Sitting on my back door steps, late one lonely, grey afternoon, looking out at the ordinary tree that had blossomed into the most beautiful thing I’d ever laid my eyes upon.


No comments:

Post a Comment