Saturday, 8 March 2014

The time Margaret Thatcher or someone visited our school

The high school I went to was a public school, all girls and as such we celebrated International Women's Day every year. It was always a free dress day (uniform was usually strictly enforced) but we'd have to wear white, purple or green (or all three). 

One year when I was in year 7 or 8 we had a visitor for our IWD school assembly. She gave a speech about how women can be great. I don't remember who it was exactly but I do remember mum being incredulous that she came to our school - and my memory tells me it was Margaret Thatcher. 

Whoever it was the speech was amazing. Even in my little 12 year old head I thought so. She spoke about amazing women who'd done incredible things. And I remember thinking I wanted to be one of those women - someone who did something great to contribute to society. 

Although I haven't worked out what that is yet I hope I never stop trying to figure it out. In the meantime I'll try to make a difference in thousands of little ways. 

Being a woman has it's challenges, sure, but I love being one. 

Happy International Women's Day - women of the world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment